I was recently reading through a discussion forum consisting of a group of marketers and SEO professionals lamenting why SEO is such a struggle. This is something I’ve tried to articulate for some time now as to exactly why SEO is as complex and nuanced as it is.
In some ways, it is what it is, and we can’t sit around having a pity party. But, when you can name the problem, you can name the solution.
Here are a few things that came up about why SEO is so challenging:
- Google is constantly changing its algorithms
- what is considered “great content” is objective and elusive
- factors that are out of our (a marketer’s) control may matter a great deal
- the psychology and criteria behind a great user experience – which is crucial for SEO – requires constant change and iteration
- the SERPs are fluid and ever-changing; these days, there is a shrinking playing field
- competitors may be more savvy and nimble
- your company doesn’t yet have a culture of content
- your team is small with limited resources
- your brand struggles to stand out
There are many more potential reasons why SEO is a struggle, but these are all good answers, right?
Well, one answer blew all the other answers out of the water. The slow golf clap award goes to this guy, Lloyd Sexton.
Here is his brilliant explanation as to why SEO is a challenge:
“You can’t master SEO as a single skill.” What do you think – pretty good huh?
It gives me peace of mind hearing this spoken out loud (or read silently to yourself, same thing).
I’ve been saying for awhile that SEO takes a village. I’m happy we’re in this village together.
SEO Essentials Mini-Course
Refresh your SEO skills with this 5-day SEO fundamentals mini-course. You'll learn the key pieces of knowledge marketers must have to master the complex world of SEO.
Latest posts by Jenny Munn (see all)
- How Long Does SEO Take to Show Results? (Updated for 2023) - August 9, 2023
- SEO Health Check: 8 Steps To a Quick & Dirty Effective SEO Competitive Audit - July 13, 2023
- The Impact of AI on SEO - June 2, 2023