It’s that time again. Google is scaring the pants off of business owners and webmasters ’round the world with their public decree that Penguin 2.0 is imminent and will be coming in the next few weeks (cue the Jaws music).
The goal of Penguin 2.0 is to target and devalue more black hat spam. It will go deeper than the original Penguin and have a much bigger impact.
Some businesses are going to have a very good – or a very bad – summer ahead of them.
Here are a few things that will be affected:
- Advertorials –specifically not following Google’s guidelines
- Problematic search terms like “payday loans” that have historically been spammy
- Devaluing link buying
- Helping hacked sites
- Increasing visibility of authority sites
- Panda additional signals
You should be worried about Google changes if you have:
- Hired some person/some company to do SEO for you and you have no insight into their techniques
- Been hanging out a lot in black hat spammy forums and have implented any ideas tossed around there
- Been link spamming. Or buying back links on Fiverr
- Spent sleepless nights tossing and turning thinking about how to quickly rise in the rankings and game the system. And then acted on those aforementioned thoughts.
Matt Cutts of Google Speaks Out About Penguin 2.0
Here is a good summary if you’d like a little more in-depth info.
Are you worried? Excited? Indifferent? Share your thoughts below.
I truly feel for the many well-meaning businesses whose rankings and sales were hit hard once they were penalized and lost rankings. But I’m excited for the businesses who have been doing things right so they can start getting the rankings they deserve for putting out good content and staying on the white-hat side of SEO.
SEO Essentials Mini-Course
Refresh your SEO skills with this 5-day SEO fundamentals mini-course. You'll learn the key pieces of knowledge marketers must have to master the complex world of SEO.
Latest posts by Jenny Munn (see all)
- How to Drive More SEO Impact Next Year [Free SEO Resource] - November 17, 2022
- You Suck, Google: 3 Basics for Marketers About the Move to GA4 (Google Analytics 4) - March 28, 2022
- How to Get SEO Traction Faster (A Must-Do Technique in 2022)￼ - February 8, 2022